It seems that sleeping past 4 o’clock has become something of a rarity these days. This morning I “slept in” and awoke at 4:30! I watched several Ted Talks and then tried to sleep a bit more… nope… that wasn’t going to happen this morning!
Wow! Then I realized that it is Christmas Eve morning ….I began to reflect…..thinking of the Christmas gifts I’ve yet to wrap, I thought back on some of MY favorite “gifts.”
* When I was a young girl, my father used to paint a large winter/ Christmas scene on the very large mirror in our living room above the fireplace mantel. It took days to paint, but I remember watching every day as his picture took shape. Lol, I remember the days it took my mother to clean the paint off the mirror after the holidays. Rolls and rolls of paper towels and a bottle of windex! That memory of those pictures ….. a priceless gift!
* I remember the huge bulbs of many colors that outlined the front door and the large plastic candles that stood on either side of the door.
* I remember the home made egg nog in the white milk glass punch bowl with the large block of ice cream floating atop.
* I remember the smells coming from the kitchen and the family all sitting around the dinner table.
* I remember hearing … and reading… ‘Twas the Night Before Christmas.
* I remember the look of excitement and wonder in the eyes of my children on Christmas morning.
* I remember the December that my son returned from deployment and was reunited with his wife and daughter.
There are more gifts to remember but too many to write here. This morning I leave you with this thought as we all get ready to celebrate the holiday.
No matter what holiday we celebrate, remember some of the best gifts are those we don’t need to unwrap! What was YOUR favorite gift?
I look forward to the gift of family tomorrow.